The No. 24 UNLV men’s golf team shot a final-round 2-over-par 282 on Tuesday at the Sea Best Invitational, which was played at TPC Sawgrass (Dye’s Valley Course – 6,858 yards, par 70).
UNLV’s round was tied for the third-lowest on the final day.
Florida State captured the team title by three shots at even-par 840 after a final-round-low 9-under 271. No. 23 North Florida finished second at 3-over, followed by Florida t 8-over, Liberty at 11-over and NC State rounded out the top five at 14-over. UNLV finished the event in 10th place at 30-over 870.
Individually, there was a three-way tie for medalist honors at 4-under 206. Florida State’s John Pak shot 4-under 66 during the final round, while Florida’s Gordon Neale was 2-under and Jacksonville’s Eduardo Carrete hwas 3-over. There was a three-way tie for fourth at 2-under.
REBEL OF THE DAY: Senior Harry Hall was UNLV’s top finisher as he placed in a tie for 15th at 3-over 213. He shot a final-round even-par 70 with three birdies and three bogeys.
COMPLETE REBEL SCORES:
• T15th – Harry Hall, senior (68-75-80=213, +3)
• T31st – David Rauch, freshman (72-74-71=217, +7)
• T40th – Justin Kim, junior (74-75-70=219, +9)
• T50th – Jack Trent, sophomore (75-75-71=221, +11)
• 74th – Marco Trstenjak, freshman (75-81-75=231, +21) – playing as individual
• T77th – Justin Chong, junior (77-77-80=234, +24)
TOP FIVE TEAMS:
1. Florida State (287-282-271=840, E)
2. North Florida (282-279-282=843, +3)
3. Florida (278-281-289=848, +8)
4. Liberty (279-289-283=851, +11)
5. NC State (290-274-290=854, +14)
There were a total of 14 teams and 84 individuals competing.
NEXT FOR THE REBELS: UNLV’s next action as a team will be Feb. 21-23 at the John Burns Intercollegiate in Hawaii.
• This was UNLV‘s first tournament of the spring season.
• The Rebels are the three-time defending Mountain West champions.
• Last year’s team also finished third at the NCAA Regional in Columbus, Ohio, and placed in the top 20 at the NCAA Championship.
• Trent earned the Mountain West Freshman of the Year award last season, while Hall and Trent were all recognized as All-MW performers.
• Hall was named a Srixon/Cleveland Golf All-America Scholar in July.
• UNLV has played in a NCAA-record 30 straight regionals.
• This year marks head coach Dwaine Knight’s 32nd season leading the Rebel program.