Last night’s rain on the red carpet of the 87th Academy Awards was neither invited nor avoidable, but that did not stop Hollywood’s favorite starlets from showcasing a wide array of looks that kept us on our toes. Award wins and gowns aside, the hair alone was enough to get viewers talking with looks ranging from dreadlocks to unexpected undercuts.
Below, Pureology Artists Sandra Joseph and Ruth Roche share their tips for recreating our favorite looks using Pureology. Pureology International Artistic Director Wendy Bélanger also shares tips on how to keep frizz at bay, even when unexpected downpours hit!
- Get the look: Scarlett Johansson (provided by Pure Artist Ruth Roche)
- Apply a small amount of Colour Stylist Anti-Split Blow Dry styling cream and using a round brush, blowdry top of hair smooth.
- Backcomb the roots to create a 1″ high cushion. Apply a pea-sized amount of Colour Stylist Cuticle Polisher shine serum to palms and style hair away from the face using your fingers. Finish with Colour Stylist Supreme Control high hold hair spray for colour-treated hair.
- If the hair is not undercut, take a horseshoe parting at the top and using vertical sections, lightly backcomb sections throughout the sides and back. Brush sides back, using tension to keep the hair very close to the head. Create a classic twist from the nape to the crown, and secure with bobby pins.
- On the top, twist and tuck the ends underneath at the back of the crown and secure with a bobby pin. Spray with Colour Stylist Strengthening Control zero dulling hairspray for added hold. Apply a small amount of Colour Stylist Cuticle Polisher shine serum into palms and smooth over sides and back to create a high shine.
- Get the look: Gwyneth Paltrow (provided by Pure Artist Ruth Roche)
- Blow dry hair smooth with Pureology Highlight Stylist Gold Definer contour shine-gel.
- Take ½” horizontal sections and starting in the nape, use a flat iron through each section to create maximum shine.
- Create a deep side part, and a large circular section at the crown. Clip circular section out of the way and smooth front and both sides around and back. Secure under the circle in the nape.
- Lightly backcomb the roots in the crown section and smooth the surface with a natural bristle brush.
- To finish, apply a small amount of Colour Stylist Cuticle Polisher shine serum to palms and smooth the surface.
- Finish with Colour Stylist Strengthening Control zero dulling hairspray for a lasting, flexible hold.
- Get the look: Margot Robbie (provided by Pure Artist Sandra Joseph)
- Begin with a few mists of Pureology Colour Fanatic on damp hair to prime hair, protect colour and fight frizz.
- Apply a quarter-size amount of Colour Stylist Nourishing Nectar sculpting gel and blowdry with a large flat brush, wrapping hair around the head to create shape.
- When the hair is almost dry, add a small amount of Colour Stylist Anti Breakage Twist shine texturizer and layer throughout. Finish blowdrying with a large round brush to smooth cuticle and add extra bend.
- Create a right side part, tuck hair behind the ear and finish with Colour Stylist Density Definer medium hold crème wax to add separation and hold hair in place all evening.
- Tips to keep the frizz and humidity away (provided by Pureology International Artistic Director Wendy Bélanger)
- Using a round brush, combine a dime-sized dollop of Pureology Super Smooth Relaxing Serum and a dime-sized dollop of Colour Stylist Lustrous Volumizer prior to blowdrying. The Super Smooth Relaxing Serum features a humidity-resistant technology that retains the moisture from your conditioner while repelling the humidity from the outside that would otherwise cause your blowout to collapse or create frizz. The Colour Stylist Lustrous Volumizer provides that added volume, hold and support needed for shape while simultaneously protecting hair from color damage or fading.
Visit StyleSeat.com/Pureology to book an appointment or buy authentic Pureology products from your local salon.