Tips For Creating Updos That Last Longer and Look Better
With the holiday season fast approaching, Meghan Hopkins, Artist with Pureology Serious Colour Care and stylist at Cobalt Blue Salon (Austin, TX), gives tips on making updos last longer and look better.
Tips for Creating Height and Foundation
1. Build extra height at the crown by working on root direction during blow drying. Spray Pureology Colour Stylist Root Lift from roots to ends (all over). Use a row brush to get maximum lift at the roots and then a cushion brush to polish the midshaft and ends. Note: A dry blow also helps to smooth curl patterns, cowlicks and cuticles for a more polished look.
2. Crimp roots and midshaft to add texture and volume for a secure foundation for the updo.
3. Do a curl set to get a bend on the ends and more lift at the roots – spray each section with Pureology Colour Stylist Strengthening Control Zero Dulling Hairspray to hold the set.
4. Lace (tease) hair heavily at the roots to get volume and form the hair.
Tips for a Polished Finish
1. Spray a shine spray or hairspray on a large powder makeup brush and lightly go over finished updo smoothing flyaways for a flawless finish.
2. Smoothness in updos starts with the foundation, always spray product, blow dry and work in direction of the cuticle to close it and keep hair as smooth as possible.
“Creating a solid foundation before putting hair up is key because it creates a solid strong updo that still looks soft and flexible,” says Hopkins.
Credits: Hair/Megan Hopkins; Photographer/Tim Francis; Makeup/ Mary Downs
Meghan Hopkins has been a hairdresser for over a decade and is currently an artist with Pureology Serious Colour Care working at Cobalt Blue Salon (Austin, TX), a Redken Elite Salon. She has a passion for learning and is committed to an evolving system of education, artistry and experience, focusing on color, updos, finishing and design. She teaches nationally, as well as at Cobalt Blue Salon, and turns to advanced education, industry icons and mentors to keep current on the latest trends, tips and techniques. Philosophy: “If you know the “why” and “how” then the options for creativity are endless.” Accolades: Redken Master Stylist, Level 4, Elite Redken Color and Design Certifications, Cinderella Extensions Certified, Artist with Pureology Serious Colour Care (NYC), attends and teaches classes nationally and at Cobalt Blue, work had been published in media outlets such as Italian Vogue. Instagram: @meghanhopkins1; Facebook: @ meghanhopkinshairart @cobaltbluesalon and Twitter: