UNLV VOLLEYBALL DOMINATES LIU IN FRIDAY’S SEASON-OPENING 3-0 WIN
Shelby Capllonch and Milica Tasic combine for 28 kills, while Lauryn Burt and Arien Fafard tally 34 assists for Rebels’ 30th win in last 33 matches dating back to 2019
The UNLV volleyball team, which is receiving votes in the national rankings, opened the season Friday morning with dominating a 3-0 victory over Long Island at the dōTERRA Classic, which is being hosted by BYU.
After a close first game that saw the Rebels end up on top 25-21, UNLV completed the sweep with identical game two- and three-scores of 25-11. The win marked UNLV’s 30th in its last 33 matches dating back to 2019.
UNLV outhit LIU .345 to .080 for the match, recording 43 kills to the Sharks’ 26. The Rebels also compiled 40 assists and 18 blocks to LIU’s 24 and four, respectively.
Junior outside hitter Shelby Capllonch recorded a match-high 16 kills, hitting .542, and senior outside hitter Milica Tasic also had double digits in kills with 12. Senior setter Lauryn Burt had a match-high 18 assists with sophomore setter Arien Fafard contributing 16. Junior libero/defensive specialist Paris Oliveira was the only player on either team with double digits in digs, finishing with 10.
The Rebels will continue tournament play on Saturday, August 28 at 9 a.m. PT vs. Southern Utah, then conclude the event vs. No. 15 BYU later in the day at 6 p.m. Video stream coverage will be available via the BYUtv App, live stats may be found on the UNLV volleyball schedule page and the match vs. the Cougars will be televised on BYU TV.
News & Notes:
- UNLV is concluded its Spring 2021 season with a record-breaking season that saw the Rebels win the Mountain West title, going undefeated in regular-season play (12-0) and advancing to the second round of the NCAA Tournament. The team finished the season 13-1 overall.
- UNLV’s current stretch of 30 wins in its last 33 matches marks the best span in program history.
- UNLV returns nine letterwinners from last season including All-American and MW Player of the Year Mariena Hayden, and All-MW First Team performer Kate Brennan.
- Also returning to the squad are Gabrielle Arretche-Ramos, Lauryn Burt, Shelby Capllonch (honorable mention All-MW), Arien Fafard, Jordyn Freeman, Paola Garcia and Paris Oliveira. There are eight newcomers, which include six freshmen and a pair of international student-athletes.
- UNLV is led by fourth-year head coach Dawn Sullivan, who was honored following the Spring 2021 season with the MW’s Coach of the Year award.
- For the first time in program history, the Rebels were predicted to finish atop the MW volleyball standings by the league’s 11 head coaches as the preseason poll was released last week. Hayden was chosen as the Preseason Conference Player of the Year.