UNLV VOLLEYBALL MOVES TO 2-0 ON THE SEASON WITH SECOND STRAIGHT SWEEP
Rebels defeat Southern Utah 3-0 Saturday morning, will face No. 15 BYU at 6 p.m. PT
The UNLV volleyball team (2-0), which is receiving votes in the national rankings, defeated Southern Utah 3-0 Saturday morning for its second straight sweep to open the season at the dōTERRA Classic, which is being hosted by BYU.
The Rebels closed game one with a 14-5 run, winning 25-16. The rest of the match was a back-and-forth affair as UNLV took the final two games by identical scores of 25-23. In the third game, the Rebels trailed 16-11 but fought back for the win.
UNLV outhit SUU (0-2) .213 to .167, recording 44 kills to the Thunderbirds’ 34. The Rebels also compiled 42 assists to SUU’s 30 and had 13 more digs (46-33).
Senior outside hitter Milica Tasic and junior outside hitter Shelby Capllonch led the Rebels in kills with 12 and 11, respectively. Sophomore setter Arien Fafard had a team-high 22 assists with senior setter Lauryn Burt contributing 14. Capllonch and junior libero/defensive specialist Paris Oliveira each had a match-high 13 digs.
The Thunderbirds were led by Ronnie Robinson’s 15 kills and Corrin Peterson’s 26 assists.
UNLV will conclude tournament play vs. No. 15 BYU today at 6 p.m. The match will be televised on BYU TV, also available via stream on the BYUtv App. Live stats may be found on the UNLV volleyball schedule page.
News & Notes:
- UNLV has now won 31 of its last 34 matches dating back to 2019, marking the best span in program history.
- UNLV is concluded its Spring 2021 season with a record-breaking season that saw the Rebels win the Mountain West title, going undefeated in regular-season play (12-0) and advancing to the second round of the NCAA Tournament. The team finished the season 13-1 overall.
- UNLV returns nine letterwinners from last season including All-American and MW Player of the Year Mariena Hayden, and All-MW First Team performer Kate Brennan.
- Also returning to the squad are Gabrielle Arretche-Ramos, Lauryn Burt, Shelby Capllonch (honorable mention All-MW), Arien Fafard, Jordyn Freeman, Paola Garcia and Paris Oliveira. There are eight newcomers, which include six freshmen and a pair of international student-athletes.
- UNLV is led by fourth-year head coach Dawn Sullivan, who was honored following the Spring 2021 season with the MW’s Coach of the Year award.
- For the first time in program history, the Rebels were predicted to finish atop the MW volleyball standings by the league’s 11 head coaches as the preseason poll was released last week. Hayden was chosen as the Preseason Conference Player of the Year.