HUSTLIN’ REBELS HEAD TO GOLDEN STATE FOR TONY GWYNN LEGACY TOURNAMENT
The UNLV baseball team (3-1) will head over to the Golden State for the 2023 Tony Gwynn Legacy tournament in San Diego, California against UC San Diego (1-3), Hawai’i (3-1), UC Irvine (4-0) and Washington State (4-0). The four-day contest will be held at Triton Ballpark, Fowler Park & Cunningham Field and Tony Gwynn Stadium.
Friday’s contest against UC San Diego is scheduled for 6 p.m., Saturday’s matchup against the Rainbow Warriors will begin at 1 p.m., Sunday’s game against UC Irvine is slated for 10 a.m. and Monday’s afternoon contest against Washington State will begin at 12 p.m.
Fans can follow this weekend’s contests through live stats and social media. The link to stats can be found online at UNLVRebels.com in the “schedule” section of the team’s baseball page, as well as on the team’s official social media channels. In-game updates will be provided through @UNLVbaseball, the team’s official Twitter account.
– This will be the first ever meeting between UC San Diego and the Hustlin’ Rebels, as the Tritons moved up to division 1 play July 1, 2020.
– The all-time series between the Rainbow Warriors and the Rebels dates back to 1977, with Hawai’i currently holding a three-game edge, 19-16, over UNLV.
– The Scarlet & Gray have faced off against UC Irvine 80 times, with the first meeting taking place in 1970. UC Irvine currently holds a six-game edge, notching 42 wins to UNLV’s 36.
– The Hustlin’ Rebels own the all-time series record against Washington State, 12-11, winning the last game played between the programs at Earl E. Wilson March 24, 2021 by a score of 15-8. The series between both programs dates back to 1976.
BACK AT THE EARL
UNLV will return to Las Vegas and Earl E. Wilson Stadium for a single-game, midweek contest against Grand Canyon March 1, followed by the conference home opener series against San Diego State set for March 3-5.
NOTES AND NEWS
– The 31 runs scored by the Hustlin’ Rebels on Sunday, February 19 marked the second most runs scored in program history, the first being 37 runs scored against San Jose State in 1986.
– UNLV currently holds a 3-1 record, the best start to the season since 2018.
– ASU defeated the Rebels for the first time since 2019 during a single-game contest held Tuesday, February 22 (6-3).
HUSTLIN‘ REBELS CLAIM WEEKLY AWARDS
– Reese Lueck received the first weekly award for the Rebels, being named the MW Freshman of the Week following UNLV’s perfect opening weekend February 20.
LEADERS IN THE MW AND THE NATION
– UNLV currently stands atop the conference with a record of 3-1.
– The Rebels currently rank second in the nation and lead the conference in batting with a .432 average. They also lead the MW in runs scored with 53, hits with 51 and in RBIn with 45.
– Alex Pimentel ranks 15th in the nation and second in the MW for batting average with a .667. He sits second in the MW for slugging percentage (1.167), on base percentage (0.857), walks (5) and hit by pitch (3).
– Jacob Sharp currently ranks second in the MW for runs scored (6), third for on base percentage (0.857) and fifth for batting average (.571).
– Santino Panaro sits third in the nation and leads the conference in runs scored with 8 and in walks with 5.
– Austin Kryszczuk sits fifth in the conference for slugging percentage (1.000), sixth batting average (.556) and seventh for walks (3).
– Rylan Charles leads the MW in at bats with 18 and ranks fifth in hits with five.
– Edarian Williams leads the conference in stolen bases with two, sits eighth for batting average (.500), sixth in hits (6) and eighth in runs scored (4).