UNLV MEN’S BASKETBALL FALLS IN SERIES OPENER AT UNR, 89-60
Wolf Pack shot 58.3% percent from 3-point range at Lawlor Events Center Sunday night
- Final Stats (web)| Final Stats (pdf)
- Season Stats (web)| Season Stats (pdf)
- UNLV Men’s Basketball Schedule
- @UNLVAthletics| @TheRunninRebels
The UNLV men’s basketball team lost 89-60 at UNR Sunday night at Lawlor Events Center in the first game of its two-game Mountain West series.
Five UNR (11-7, 6-5) players scored in double figures, led by Desmond Cambridge’s 17 points on 6 of 9 shooting. Grant Sherfield recorded a double-double with 15 points and 11 assists with just one turnover.
UNLV (6-8, 3-4) had three players in double-figure scoring, led by David Jenkins Jr. and Moses Wood each with 13 points. Mbacke Diong collected a game-high nine rebounds.
STAT OF THE GAME: UNR shot 58.3% from 3-point range (14 of 24) for the game after making 8 of 12 in the first half (66.7%).
QUOTABLE: “Unacceptable effort and compete, especially in a rivalry game. It’s not how we practice, that’s not how we prepare. Regardless of what players are available, that’s not Runnin’ Rebel basketball and won’t be tolerated. We will address it tomorrow at practice and film, so that we don’t end up in this situation again come Tuesday.” – UNLV head coach T.J. Otzelberger
– UNLV’s leading scorer Bryce Hamilton, who has averaged 18.3 ppg this season, was out with an ankle injury.
– It marked the 92nd all-time meeting between the two men’s basketball programs.
– UNR has now won seven straight meetings in the series and three in a row in Reno.
– Wood, who is from Reno, played a collegiate game in his hometown for the first time.
– UNR’s bench outscored UNLV’s 39-11.
– The Wolf Pack led 46-30 at the half.
– UNR recorded a UNLV-opponent season-high-tying 21 assists.
– UNLV shot 56.4% from the field for the game, while UNLV shot 34.4%.
– UNLV was 8 of 27 on 3-pointers (29.6%), making just 2 of 10 in the second half.
– UNLV has made at least one 3-pointer in a NCAA-record 1,116 straight games.
NEXT FOR THE RUNNIN’ REBELS: UNLV will conclude its two-game series with UNR on Tuesday, February 2 at 6 p.m. The game will be televised by CBS Sports Network with the radio call on ESPN Radio 1100 in Las Vegas.