UNLV VOLLEYBALL COMES BACK TO DEFEAT PACIFIC FOR SIXTH STRAIGHT WIN
Rebels earn 3-1 victory at Sparky Volleyball Invitational behind Mariena Hayden’s season-high 18 kills
@UNLVvball | Final Stats | Season Stats | Schedule | Tickets
The UNLV volleyball team, which is receiving votes in the national rankings, recorded its sixth straight win with a 3-1 victory over Pacific Friday afternoon at the Sparky Volleyball Invitational, which is being hosted by Arizona State at Desert Financial Arena.
The Rebels (8-2) earned the victory in comeback fashion, as it lost the first set 25-22, then won three straight: 25-23, 25-19, 25-23.
UNLV fifth-year senior Mariena Hayden had a season-high 18 kills to lead the Rebels. She also had a match-high-tying two service aces and contributed a season-high nine digs. Senior setter Lauryn Burt had a season-high 22 assists and junior libero/defensive specialist Paris Oliveira had a season- and match-high 19 digs.
Pacific (3-8) was led by Alexa Edwards’ 20 kills, Jenna Heller’s 26 assists and Jadyn Tubbs’ 18 digs.
UNLV out-hit the Tigers .191 to .157 for the match. There were a total of 42 ties and 17 lead changes throughout.
NEXT FOR THE REBELS: UNLV will close out play in the Sparky Invitational as well as its non-conference schedule on Saturday, September 18 at ASU at 5 p.m. A livestream and live stats will be available at the UNLV volleyball schedule page on UNLVRebels.com.
NEWS & NOTES:
- The win marked the 450th all-time for the UNLV volleyball program. Its all-time mark is now 450-409-2.
- UNLV has now won 37 of its last 42 matches dating back to 2019.
- Hayden is No. 2 all-time at UNLV in career kills and currently has 1,577 for her collegiate career. She has also moved into the No. 5 spot in career digs with 1,201 and is No. 1 in service aces with 288.
- UNLV concluded its Spring 2021 season with a record-breaking campaign that saw the Rebels win the Mountain West title, going undefeated in regular-season play (12-0) and advancing to the second round of the NCAA Tournament. The team finished the season 13-1 overall.
- UNLV returned nine letterwinners from last season including All-American and MW Player of the Year Mariena Hayden, and All-MW First Team performer Kate Brennan.
- Also returning to the squad are Gabrielle Arretche-Ramos, Lauryn Burt, Shelby Capllonch (honorable mention All-MW), Arien Fafard, Jordyn Freeman, Paola Garcia and Paris Oliveira. There are eight newcomers, which include six freshmen and a pair of international student-athletes.
- UNLV is led by fourth-year head coach Dawn Sullivan, who was honored following the Spring 2021 season with the MW’s Coach of the Year award.
- For the first time in program history, the Rebels were predicted to finish atop the MW volleyball standings by the league’s 11 head coaches as the preseason poll was released last month. Hayden was chosen as the Preseason Conference Player of the Year.