Participants and Running Buddies Take Off During a Previous Girls on the Run Fall 5K. (Photo
Courtesy of Girls on the Run Las Vegas)
GIRLS ON THE RUN LAS VEGAS TO HOST SPRING 5K,
SATURDAY, MAY 7
Girls on the Run Las Vegas (GOTR) invites the Las Vegas community to participate in their 2022 Spring 5K Community Celebration, a non-competitive community event that celebrates the hard work and dedication of all the program’s participants. The event marks the culmination of this year’s GOTR spring season, a 10-week experience-based curriculum designed to inspire girls in grades 3 through 8 to build confidence and make intentional decisions, while fostering care and compassion for themselves and others. Participants can run, walk or roll at their own pace with their group of friends, family members, colleagues or on their own.
“We are grateful for all our sponsors who made this year’s Spring 5K possible, and we are especially appreciative to United Way of Southern Nevada’s Women United, Andre Agassi Foundation, Southern Nevada Health District, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Enterprise Holdings just to name a few,” said Kate McLaughlin, executive director, GOTR Las Vegas.
More than 500 girls from 34 different sites around the valley will participate in the group celebratory event. The GOTR girls will be accompanied by their coaches, adult running buddies and other community runners. Registration is still open for Community Runners and the Cheering Section.
Each year, Girls on the Run hosts two 5K events, gathering young girls from elementary and middle schools in Clark County to accomplish one common goal—to be healthy, confident and joyful. Each girl runs with an adult Running Buddy who runs alongside them during the 5K. This celebratory event marks the conclusion of a season-long curriculum designed to develop confidence, friendship, strength and emotional and spiritual health in young girls—all while integrating running. The program provides participants with a sense of accomplishment and instills the value of goal-setting at a young age.
- Kate McLaughlin, executive director, GOTR
- 517 Girls participating in the Spring 5K and their site coaches
- Running Buddies and Community Runners participating in the Spring 5K
- Girls from around Southern Nevada dressed in festive, colorful running gear and race bibs, accompanied by their Running Buddies.
- Festival atmosphere with spirit stations and booths representing non-profit organizations across Southern Nevada, including Positively Arts, The Pride Tree, Olive Crest, BGR8 Foundation and Project Marilyn.
- Community Corner, an area showcasing the girls’ community service projects.
- GOTR Gives Back information station, where attendees can learn how GOTR participants volunteer their time with other community organizations throughout the year.
Saturday, May 7
Festivities begin at 7:30 a.m.
5K starts at 9:30 a.m.
University of Nevada, Las Vegas – Pida Plaza
4505 S Maryland Pkwy
Las Vegas, NV 89154
- Adult Community Runners: $35
- Children (under 18) Community Runners: $15
- Running Buddies: $15 – For adult runners affiliated with a girl registered in the GOTR 2022 spring season.
- Cheering Section: $35 – For those who are not interested or cannot complete a 5K themselves but do want to celebrate a GOTR girl or support Girls on the Run Las Vegas.
Click here to register as a Community Runner.
Twitter and Instagram: @gotrlv
ABOUT GIRLS ON THE RUN LAS VEGAS
Girls on the Run® Las Vegas is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to creating a world where every girl knows and activates her limitless potential and is free to boldly pursue her dreams. Girls on the Run inspires girls to recognize their inner strength and celebrate what makes them one of a kind. Trained coaches lead small teams through a research-based curriculum which includes dynamic discussions, activities and running games. Over the course of the ten-week program, girls in 3rd through 8th grade develop essential skills to help them navigate their worlds and establish a lifetime appreciation for health and fitness. The program culminates with girls positively impacting their communities through a service project and being physically and emotionally prepared to complete a celebratory 5K event.