“One World Through Art” – OCTOBER FIRST FRIDAY CLERATES 19 YEARS
REMEMBRANCE PLANNED FOR VICTIMS OF OCTOBER 1
FEATURED ARTIST IS BLACK57, GRAFFITI ARTIST FROM LAS VEGAS
First Friday Foundation, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, announces that First Friday’s Oct. 1 event celebrates “One World Through Art” 19th anniversary and commemorates Oct. 1 tragedy with Mayor Carolyn Goodman’s words piped in to the First Friday stage from the Healing Garden. The art walk area on Boulder Avenue and First Street will feature an estimated 40 First Friday artists and craftspeople. The food garden and bar area remain in the Art Square parking lot, along with the stage. Local musicians will play near the food court stage and the Indie Genius Stage in the Art Walk.
Key elements for this month include:
- Hours of Operation – 5:00 p.m. to 11 p.m.
- First Friday Footprint – The Art Walk is on Boulder Ave. in front of the Arts Factory and on 1st Street. The food garden and bar are in the Art Square parking lot and on S. Art Way.
- COVID-19 Requests – Guests are asked to be mindful of others. There are no mask requirements or social distancing requirements currently. First Friday will continue with its program of sanitation and asks guests to continue washing/sanitizing their hands.
- One World Through Art – This month 30 communities will participate in First Friday with each community sharing their art, music, dance, and food to help us understand and learn more about their culture. First Friday is working together with The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department’s Fusion Liaison Officer Management Team to help ensure a successful event and bring all these communities together. Some of the highlights: Bali dancing from the Sikh community, tasting food from India Palace, the Asian Community Development Council joins in the event, the Native American community also joins in to share what is sacred to them and many more communities bring their special customs and food to the event.
- First Friday’s Featured Artist – Las Vegas artist Black57 is inspired by neoclassical compositions, graffiti color palettes and lettering styles. His graffiti background informs his work today. He says, “I look at the painting process as a dance, or a conversation with canvas.” Black57 will be doing a live exhibit and guiding an interactive project in support of Safe Nest and their October initiative to end Domestic Violence. Communities and attendees will participate in this interactive art project that inspires hope with the intention of “You Matter.” The piece will eventually be installed by Black57 and the First Friday Foundation as a mural within the shelter. Safe Nest needs donations and First Friday encourages attendees to bring paper items, hand sanitizer, toiletries, sanitizing wipes, paper towels. Please drop off at the Safe Nest booth.
- October 1 Remembrance – In honor of the victims of this tragic night, First Friday will go silent at 10:01 as Mayor Carolyn Goodman reads the names of each victim from the Las Vegas Community Healing Garden. Her words will be piped into the city of Las Vegas stage located in the Arts Square parking lot. Attendees will be given glow sticks and electric candles throughout the night for this moment of remembrance of these beautiful lives lost. Performance of the song “Rise Up” will be immediately followed by a Deblanc Music Artist after the words from Mayor Goodman.
- Live Entertainment – Starting at 5:00 pm OWTA kicks off with the Dragon and Lion Dance, Bali dancing, Sri Lankan performance and more.
- Covid 19 Vaccinations Available – Through Immunize Nevada sponsored by the Asian Community Development Council.
- Food Trucks – Approximately fifteen favorite food trucks will be featured in the food garden.
- Other arts district art galleries, restaurants, bars and other retail businesses will also be open for First Friday.
- Expect street improvements that will delay traffic throughout the coming months. However, we look forward to the beautiful improvements in the area.
- Parking Info
- City paid Parking Lot (only $5) located at 500 S. Main Street will be open with free shuttle drop off at Hoover and 1st.
- First Friday paid parking lot located at Arts Square/Mission Linen Building parking lot on Coolidge and Arts Way.
- Ride share drop off also located on Hoover and 1st.
The First Friday Foundation will post updates and special offers on scheduled First Friday events and other programming through its social media channels – on Facebook at www.facebook.com/firstfridaylasvegas and Twitter @FirstFridayLV. The website, www.ffflv.org, is active and applications for artists and vendors are currently being accepted.
OCTOBER 1 FIRST FRIDAY HIGHLIGHTS:
Alternative to driving to the event:
- Downtown Loop provides transportation throughout downtown and to First Friday during the event.
Art Style: Emerging and established artists, craftspeople. Interactive painting for those who want to explore their own creativity. Artists in tents at the event and in the many galleries surrounding the event.
Art Walk 5:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m. showcases work by primarily local artists. Check out the artists booths in the event and be sure to stop in the many galleries in the arts district – Arts Factory, Art Square, along Main Street.
Family fun – there is always something fun for the whole family at First Friday.
Music – Check website for live entertainment.
Food & Drink – 5:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m. Explore the many options for your taste buds as the First Friday culinary experience is back in full force with delicious options from the many food trucks, artisan food vendors and restaurants throughout the First Friday footprint and the entire arts district.
Thanks to all our generous October sponsors:
- city of Las Vegas
- Go Puff
- Sam & Ash, LLP
- Sunbelt Rentals
- Guardian Elite Medical
- Asian Community Development Council
Hours of Operation
5:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m.
ABOUT FIRST FRIDAY FOUNDATION
First Friday Foundation is a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting and advancing local arts and culture in Las Vegas. We also believe in collaborating with other organizations to help raise awareness in the arts and linking these partnerships to benefit local artists and community members. First Friday Foundation produces the monthly event known as First Friday Las Vegas, which has been a mainstay of arts and culture in Las Vegas since 2002 and has become the leader for family-friendly activities, art, cultural enrichment, educational efforts, imagination, community and more; activities are mostly low cost or free of cost, for every age. For more information on the First Friday Foundation, please visit Facebook page, Instagram or follow on Twitter or visit ffflv.org