BOSTON LATIN SCHOOL WINS GLOBAL GREEN USA’s 2ND ANNUAL GREEN SCHOOL MAKEOVER COMPETITION PRESENTED BY PUREOLOGY
National Initiative Helps Schools Become Energy-Efficient, Conserve Water, Reduce Waste and Educate Students About Recycling
Building on green school expertise that spans more than a decade, Global Green USA and Pureology today announced that Boston Latin School is the winner of its second annual Green School Makeover Competition presented by Pureology and will receive a $75,000 grant to help the school reach its goals of creating a sustainable school garden, making improvements that will reduce energy usage throughout the school and reducing the amount of plastic water bottles on the campus.
Boston Latin School was selected from over 450 entries from around the country, each of whom submitted a student-created proposal outlining green initiatives and achievements to date, while outlining what the student body would do if they won the competition. Global Green’s Green School Makeover competition was presented by Pureology.
“We’re humbled by the record number of submissions we received from schools this year,” said Matt Petersen, President and CEO of Global Green USA, a non-profit organization dedicated to helping the places, people and planet in need. “It’s inspiring to see how eco-conscious the kids are.”
A panel of judges reviewed and considered each of the entries received from a record number of K-12 public, private and charter schools across the country, then selected ten finalists. The top schools from this group then received a site visit from Global Green USA staff. Finalists included:
- Waters Elementary, a public elementary in Chicago, IL with a successful ecology program;
- PS89 The Liberty School, a public school in NY dedicated to reducing landfill waste and conserving energy;
- Lawndale High in CA, a public school that hopes to add a community garden and recycling program;
- Northwest PA Collegiate Academy in Erie, PA, a public high school that plans to create a model for their inner-city district through a student ‘green team;’
- Our Lady of the Lake in Ashland, WI, a private elementary school that proposed expanding its environmental sciences curriculum;
- West Elementary School in Long Beach, NY, a school that was devastated by hurricane Sandy and wants to rebuild green;
- University Heights High in Bronx, NY, a public high school that plans to expand its urban farm;
- Henry C. Lea School in Philadelphia, PA, a public school with plans to transform its play space into a green and healthy environment and add solar energy; and,
- Granada Center/El Monte Union High in CA, a public high school that wants to ensure the health of its special needs students through green upgrades.
“Global Green USA’s 2013 Green Makeover Competition has been one of our most publicized and successful green school initiatives to date,” noted Petersen. “In 2011, we received over 200 entries and selected the Texas School for the Deaf (TSD) in Austin, Texas.
Global Green USA launched its 2nd Green School Makeover Competition, presented by Pureology, last January, offering a $75,000 cash prize, a $5,000 Office Depot gift card, and technical assistance from Global Green USA’s team of green schools/green building experts. The nine other finalist schools will also receive Office Depot cards ranging from $1,000 to $2,500. For more information, visit http://globalgreen.org/gsmctop10 and http://www.globalgreen.org/articles/aboutus/13.
To follow the progress of Boston Latin School’s green makeover, please visit Pureology’s Facebook page. Pureology will be documenting the renovation process with photos and videos.
ABOUT PUREOLOGY SERIOUS COLOUR CARE®
A haircare brand with a sustainable vision and a commitment to environmental initiatives, Pureology formulas offer an industry first: Longer Lasting Hair Colour – Guaranteed!® For more information visit Pureology.com or like Pureology on Facebook. Please note, Pureology products can only be guaranteed authentic when purchased from a salon. We request that you do not credit drugstores, “beauty websites” or other unauthorized retailers.
ABOUT GLOBAL GREEN USA
Global Green USA is dedicated to helping the places, the people, and the planet in need through catalytic projects, transformative policy, and cutting-edge research. Global Green USA’s signature programs include greening affordable housing, schools, neighborhoods, and cities as well as rebuilding communities – such as New Orleans and areas of New York and New Jersey – who have suffered from the impacts of climate change, sea level rise, and environmental degradation. Global Green USA is the U.S. affiliate of Green Cross International, which was founded by President Mikhail Gorbachev in 1993 to foster a global value shift toward a sustainable a secure future. Visit us at www.globalgreen.org, like us on Facebook/global green and follow us on Twitter.