REBELS RETURN HOME FOR PAIR OF WEEKEND MATCHES
UNLV plays Houston Baptist on Friday and Chicago State on Sunday as part of doubleheaders with women’s soccer
LAS VEGAS (UNLVRebels.com) – The UNLV men’s soccer team will return to Peter Johann Memorial Field for the first time in two weeks when it squares off against Houston Baptist Friday at 3 p.m. PT and Chicago State Sunday at 4 p.m. PT.
The Rebels (4-6, 0-3) enter this weekend’s contests seeking to pick up their first WAC victory of the season with a little boost from the home crowd.
Despite being shutout in its last two WAC outings, the Scarlet and Gray’s offensive attack continues to put pressure on opposing defensive backlines as it racked up a season-high 11 shots on goal at San Jose State and now ranks top 10 in the country in shots on target per match (7.4). The Rebels will look to find the back of the net in their matchups with a Cougars (2-7-1, 0-3) squad that leads the league in saves (53) and the Huskies (2-8, 0-3), who sit at 8th in the conference (34) in that category.
Fans can follow the action via broadcast with an ESPN+ subscription for both games, as well as live stats on UNLVRebels.com and in-game updates provided on the team’s official Twitter account @UNLVRebelSoccer.
UNLV’s pair of contests are part of two doubleheaders with women’s soccer, which will feature a pre-game tailgate sponsored by the UNLV Soccer Foundation with free food at noon on Sunday prior to the day’s matches. Admission is free for UNLV students and kids, as well as Nevada high school students with their High School I.D. Adult tickets are $6 each when purchased before Sunday ($10 on Sunday) and can be purchased at UNLVTickets.com.
NEWS & NOTES:
- UNLV senior Aedon Kyra has tallied a goal or an assist in four of the Rebels’ past six outings, putting him inside the top 10 on the WAC’s leaderboard in points (10) and goals (4).
- Meanwhile, senior Marco Gonzalez continues to be a catalyst for the Rebels’ attack, sitting in a tie for third in the WAC in assists (4).
- Following Gonzalez’s game-winning goal with 20 seconds remaining in UNLV’s 3-2 comeback win over UC Irvine in its non-conference finale, the Rebels have scored three game-winning goals in the 85th minute or later during the 2021 campaign.
- The go-ahead score versus the Anteaters by Gonzalez was his second of the season, as he also sent UNLV to a 2-1 win with an 85th-minute goal in the season opener at Gonzaga.
- Three of the Rebels’ four wins this season have come off late scores, as it also received game-winning goals from Gonzalez in the 85th minute of the season opener against the Zags and Kyra in the 89th minute in the squad’s season-opening, 2-1 win against UC San Diego.
- The Rebels return defender Billy Jones and midfielder Bailey Letherman, who were both named WAC Second Team All-Conference in 2020.
- Additionally, the Scarlet and Gray welcome back WAC All-Conference honorable mention selections Claudio Gabriel and goalkeeper Miguel Duenas Jr., as well as All-Freshman Team honoree Louis Hiepen from last season.
- Head coach Rich Ryerson is in his 12th year as leader of the Rebel men’s soccer program.