UNLV SWIMMING AND DIVING OPENS SEASON WITH TWO MEETS IN ARIZONA
The UNLV men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams open the 2013-14 season with a pair of meets in the state of Arizona. First up is the University of Arizona on Friday at 2 pm in Tucson, and that’s followed by a Saturday afternoon meet at 12 pm against Arizona State in Tucson.
Rebel Women Highlights
• The Rebels bring back a strong group from last year, highlighted by a senior class that has two All-Americans (Honorable Mention), Rachel Dixon (50 Free) and Katelyne Herrington (100 Fly)
• Herrington is also a returning MW individual champion, as she won the 100 fly title last year in a new league record time. Herrington and Dixon also made up half of the 400 free relay squad that won the MW title.
Rebel Men Highlights
• UNLV ended the 2012-13 season with an 8-1 record, ranked 25th in the nation, a MPSF Championship title, and a tie for 29th in the NCAA Championships
• UNLV is in its third conference in the past four years, as the Rebels have rejoined the WAC conference, along with several other teams that moved over from the MPSF
• Highlighting the Rebel swimmers are a pair that earned Honorable Mention All-American status last year in individual events, David Szele (100 breast) and Balint Batka (200 fly). In addition, Henrique Machado Samuel Lameynardie teamed up with Szele and Cody Roberts (graduated) to place 12th in the 400 Medley Relay
Next Time Out
The Rebels will host Toronto on Friday, Nov. 1 at 7 pm in Las Vegas at Buchanan Natatorium.