REBELS TRAVEL TO COLORADO SPRINGS FOR PAIR OF MW MATCHES
UNLV will play at Air Force on Friday and at Colorado College on Sunday
- UNLV at Air Force | Friday, Oct. 1 | 5 p.m. PT/6 MT | Live Stats | Live Video
- UNLV at Colorado College | Sunday, Oct. 3 | 12:30 p.m./1:30 MT | Live Stats | Live Video
LAS VEGAS (UNLVRebels.com) – The UNLV women’s soccer team will hit the road for its first Mountain West contests away from Las Vegas in 2021, traveling to Colorado Springs to face Air Force and Colorado College on Friday and Sunday, respectively. Friday’s game will kick off at 5 p.m. PT/6 p.m. MT, while Sunday’s game is set for 12:30 p.m. PT/1:30 p.m. MT.
The Rebels will look to put their league-opening weekend behind them quickly as they fell to Boise State and Utah State – arguably two of the top teams in the conference – at home in a pair of hard fought matches. UNLV is 7-4 overall and 0-2 in the Mountain West heading into the second weekend of league play.
Despite being shut out both games last weekend, the offense generated plenty of chances against the best two defenses in the leagues, including out-shooting Utah State 12-4 in Sunday’s defeat. Both contests were closer than the score would indicate as the Boise game was a scoreless tie until a pair of back-to-back late Bronco goals and Utah State added an insurance goal with under five minutes to play.
The Rebels continue to rank in the top half of the conference offensively, ranking third in points (49), second in goals (19), second in goals per game (1.73) and tied for third in assists (11). Junior Lourdes Bosch is tied for second individually with 26 shots on the year and is tied for fourth with three assists. Fellow junior Marcella Brooks ranks ninth in points (8) and tied for seventh in goals (3) with teammate Hevani Haunga (3). Defensively, UNLV is sixth in goals-against-average (1.25), ninth in saves (39) and tied for sixth with three shutouts.
Fans can watch both games live on the Mountain West Network and can follow through live stats. All links are available on UNLVRebels.com. Fans can also follow the action with in-game updates via Twitter on the official team account @UNLVwSoccer.
- Points: Marcella Brooks (8); Lourdes Bosch (7); Hevani Haunga (6); Alysa Caso (5); Nailah Harpring (4)
- Goals: Marcella Brooks (3); Hevana Haunga (3); Lourdes Bosch (2); Alysa Caso (2); Nailah Harpring (2)
- Assists: Lourdes Bosch (3); Marcella Brooks (2); Alyssa Granados (2)
- Saves: Taylor Book (22); Charlotte Brisley (16)
News & Notes
- UNLV finished its non-conference slate 7-2, winning seven of eight after a season-opening loss; best non-league record since 2018
- UNLV opened the season at home for the ninth time in the last 11 seasons and 16th time since the program’s inaugural year in 1998.
- The 2021 campaign marks head coach Jenny Ruiz-Williams’ second season at the helm of the Rebel women’s soccer program.
- After seeing only four players record hat tricks five times over the first 22 seasons in program history, two Rebels have now done it just over a season into Ruiz-Williams’ era. Hevani Haunga accomplished the feat against UC San Diego and sophomore Nailah Harper did it during her freshman campaign in the spring of 2021 at San Jose State
- Ruiz-Williams is the first UNLV women’s soccer alumnae to lead the program
- In the conference-only spring 2021 season, UNLV went 5-4-1 overall and finished tied for fourth in league standings