This year’s Met Gala theme was “Manus x Machina”, where we witnessed the worlds of fashion and technology coming together to unveil extravagant, futuristic and jaw dropping outfits paired with equally amazing and unusual hairstyles. Inspired by the Met Gala, Redken artist Blake Reed Evans has provided step-by-steps using Redken to re-create at home some of the hairstyles worn by celebrities who attended the annual event.
(Please note, Blake did not create these hairstyles on the below celebrities. The below are step by steps on how to re-create the looks at-home.)
Image Source: Getty / Taylor Hill
- Spray the hair evenly with pillow proof blow dry express primer spray and comb through.
- Mist the hair all over with Beach Envy Wave Aid.
- Diffuse the hair.
- Using a one inch curling iron, pick up random sections of hair to add definition to curls. Rotate wrapping sections toward your face and away from your face. Leave out about one inch of the hair.
- Gather a two inch section of hair on each side of the head.
- On each section, use braid aid 03 braid defining lotion to form a traditional three strand plait. Blouse the braid to make it bigger. Secure the ends with an elastic.
- Pin the two braids in center back and let the ends of the braids hang loose.
- Use a decorative necklace as the headpiece and secure it to the head using a hair pin.
- Finish the look by misting wind blown 05 dry finishing spray all over to give it a textured finish.
Image Source: Getty / Karwai Tang
- Create a clean, off center part and prep hair with Glow Dry style enhancing blow-dry oil.
- Prime hair with pillow proof blow dry express treatment primer cream.
- Apply align 12 protective smoothing lotion all over.
- Take two inch horizontal sections and blow dry with a boar bristle brush for ultimate shine.
- Mist 1 inch sections with iron shape 11 finishing thermal spray and flat iron smooth adding a slight bend to the ends.
- Finish with Diamond Oil High Shine Airy Mist and tuck one side of the hair behind the ear.
Image Source: Getty / George Pimentel
- On damp hair, apply pillow proof blow dry express treatment primer cream for heat protection and longer lasting volume.
- Apply guts 10 volume spray foam to the roots and full frame 07 all-over volumizing mousse to the mid lengths and ends.
- Blow dry the hair using a 9 row Denman styling brush creating volume at the roots and directing the hair away from the face.
- In the root area happy quick tease 15 backcombing finishing spray and over direct the sections toward the face to create more volume.
- Backcomb the root area to secure volume. Make sure the hair moves away from the face.
- Mist the ends of your hair with iron shape 11 finishing thermal spray and curl hair using a 1 inch curling iron. Avoid curling the top of the head.
- Finish with triple take 32 extreme high-hold hairspray to lock in shape.
Image Source: Getty / Larry Busacca
- Prep damp hair with Glow Dry style enhancing blow-dry oil.
- Prime the hair with pillow proof blow dry express treatment primer cream.
- Apply guts 10 volume spray foam in the root area and isolate the top of the head and clip out of the way.
- Blow dry the hair back and away from the face. Be sure not to lift the hair to avoid volume on either side or at the back of the head.
- Drop the top section down and blow dry to create volume by lifting each section with a large round brush.
- Once dry, spray the hair with control addict 28 extra high-hold hairspray and comb away from the face. Use a clip on each side to secure the shape. Remove the clip once dry.
To learn more about Redken products, find a salon, book your next appointment or buy genuine Redken products from your local salon, visit Redken.com. Also available at Ulta, Beauty Brands and JCPenney Salons.