UNLV VOLLEYBALL OPENS MOUNTAIN WEST PLAY THIS WEEK
The UNLV volleyball team (9-2) begins its 18-match Mountain West schedule this week with a pair of contests on the road against the Colorado State Rams (7-4) and the Wyoming Cowgirls (4-8). The Rebels will open conference play Thursday night at 6 p.m. (PT) against CSU in Fort Collins. Two days later, the Scarlet & Gray will head to Laramie to take on the Cowgirls at 12 p.m. (PT).
UNLV is coming off a 2-1 showing at the Southern Utah Invitational against Idaho State, Southern Utah and Utah Tech, formerly known as Dixie State. The Rebels dropped the first match to the Bengals, but came back to take a 3-1 win over SUU and closed out the tournament with a sweep over Utah Tech.
Colorado State, who was selected as the 2022 MW Volleyball Preseason Favorite, went 1-1 last weekend with a pair of matches against Colorado, winning the first match 3-1 and dropping the second 2-3.
Wyoming, like UNLV, went 2-1 last weekend at home during the UniWyo Invitational with back-to-back sweeps against Nicholls and Morehead State, before falling to the University of Idaho by a score of 3-1.
The Rebels will face both programs at home for the final two matches of conference play beginning with Wyoming Thursday, November 17th and closing out the season against Colorado State Saturday, November 19.
TUNE IN, WATCH & LISTEN
Fans can follow this weekend’s conference matchups through live stats and social media. Both matches will be available to live stream through the Mountain West Network. Links to video and stats can be found online at UNLVRebels.com in the “schedule” section of the volleyball page, as well as on the team’s official social media channels: @UNLVvball (Twitter and Instagram) and @UNLVRebelVolleyball (Facebook).
ON THE SIDELINES
The Rebels will return home to continue conference play with a match against Fresno State Thursday, September 29 at 6:30 p.m., followed by another home match against San Diego State Saturday, October 1 at 1 p.m.
REBELS CLAIM WEEKLY AWARDS
– Maya Sands received the first weekly award for the Scarlet & Gray on September 19th, earning both MW Freshman and Defensive Player of the Week.
LEADERS IN THE MW AND THE NATION
– UNLV currently ranks 18th in the NCAA for assists per set (12.93) and tied for 28th in kills per set (13.76).
– The Rebels currently lead the conference in assists per set (12.93) and kills per set (13.76), they rank second in hitting percentage (.248), third in blocks per set (2.25) and they also rank fourth in digs per set (13.69)
– Senior Jhenna Gabriel leads in the conference and ranks 35th in the nation for assists with 10.28 per set.
– Redshirt-junior Isabel Martin ranks third in the MW for kills per set with 4.00 and for points with 4.54 per set.
– Junior Gabrielle Arretche-Ramos sits fifth in the MW in kills per set with 3.63 and sits seventh in points with 3.91 per set.
– Freshman Maya Sands currently sits tied for third in the MW for service aces with 0.43 per set and ranks fifth for digs with 3.95 per set.
– Redshirt-junior Jordyn Freeman ranks eighth in the MW for hitting percentage with .319.
OTHER NEWS & NOTES
– Dating back to 2019, UNLV has gone 66-14 in its last 80 matches. The Rebels have won nine of 11 matches this season and 35 of its last 43.
– UNLV returned eight letterwinners this season. Also returning to the squad from last season were Gabrielle Arretche-Ramos, Arien Fafard, Jordyn Freeman, Chloe Thomas, Isha Knight, Keyana Cruse, Dakota Quinlan, Livvy Setla, Isabel Martin and Thea Sweder. There are eight newcomers, which include three freshmen, a trio of transfers and a pair of graduate transfers.
– UNLV is led by fifth-year head coach Dawn Sullivan, who looks to guide her squad to the postseason for the fifth straight season.
– Junior Arien Fafard had her 1,000th career assist during the opening weekend of the Rebels’ 2022 campaign at UNT.
– The Rebels defeated No. 19 Kansas on September 10, 2022, making that the second win over a ranked team since 2016. The first being then No. 25 Washington State during the fall 2021 season at the Rebel Challenge (Sept. 4, 2021).
PURCHASE TICKETS: Tickets for the 2022 UNLV Volleyball season, which are just $50 for the general public and $40 for seniors, faculty & staff or alumni, are on sale now and may be purchased at UNLVtickets.com, by calling 702-739-FANS (3267) or by visiting the Thomas & Mack Center Box Office.
Single-game ticket prices this season are $10 for adults, $8 for seniors, faculty and staff, and $5 to groups of 15 or more. Fans that purchase tickets online before game day can get them for an advanced single-game price of $6.
All high school, middle school and elementary students are free under UNLV’s new admission policy. To receive free admission, high school students must present valid Nevada are school I.D. at the box office on gameday for one (1) complimentary ticket. Current UNLV students will receive free admission with a valid school I.D. All other students will receive a complimentary ticket at the box office (no I.D. required). Kids not yet elementary school age will continue to receive free admission for all UNLV Olympic sports.