RUNNIN’ REBELS FALL TO NO. 19 SAN DIEGO STATE, 71-62
David Jenkins Jr. tied his season high with seven 3-pointers and led all scorers with 32 points in UNLV men’s basketball’s regular-season home finale Wednesday night at the Thomas & Mack Center
- Final Stats (web)| Final Stats (pdf)
- Season Stats (web)| Season Stats (pdf)
- UNLV Men’s Basketball Schedule
- @UNLVAthletics| @TheRunninRebels
The UNLV men’s basketball team lost to No. 19 San Diego State 71-62 in its regular-season home finale Wednesday night at the Thomas & Mack Center.
SDSU (20-4, 14-3) had three players score in double figures, led by Matt Mitchell’s 19 points. Jordan Schakel scored 16 with a game-high nine rebounds, while Trey Pulliam recorded a game-high eight assists.
David Jenkins Jr. was the only UNLV (11-13, 8-9) player to score in double digits as he poured in a game-high 32 points. He made a season-high-tying seven 3-pointers as he finished 11 of 23 from the field and 7 of 14 from 3-point range. Caleb Grill led the team in rebounds, while Moses Wood recorded a career-high four blocked shots all in the first half and Devin Tillis had a career-high three steals.
STAT OF THE GAME: SDSU went to the free-throw line 17 more times than UNLV, scoring 15 more points at the charity stripe. The Aztecs were 22 of 26, while the Runnin’ Rebels were 7 of 9.
TURNING POINT: With the game tied 28-28 with less than two minutes left in the first half, San Diego State went on a 7-0 run to take a 35-28 lead into the break. The Aztecs then opened the second half with seven straight points and the 14-0 run gave them a 42-28 advantage early in the second half.
QUOTABLE: “We knew against a very good team, the importance of every possession. We had some good spurts but didn’t play a complete enough game for 40 minutes. When it was tied at 28 prior to halftime, that 7-0 run hurt us. We have to be more stubborn, more gritty and stay the course, and not allow those runs because against a good defensive club like that it’s hard to make that up.” – UNLV head coach T.J. Otzelberger
– The game was a make up from the scheduled two-game series that was postponed earlier in the season. This is the lone regular-season meeting between the two teams.
– Trailing by as many as 16 early in the second half, UNLV cut its deficit to eight at 53-45 with 8:50 to play but would get no closer.
– Both teams shot under 40 percent from the field. SDSU was 20 of 55 for 36.4%, while UNLV was 23 of 59 for 39.0%
– SDSU recorded eight steals, while UNLV had four.
– The Runnin’ Rebels blocked a total of six shots to just one for the Aztecs.
– There were a total of eight lead changes and five ties throughout the game.
– UNLV has made at least one 3-pointer in a NCAA-record 1,126 straight games.
NEXT FOR THE RUNNIN’ REBELS: UNLV will close out the regular season with a trip to Laramie to face Wyoming on Saturday, March 6 at 8 p.m. PT. The game will be televised by CBS Sports Network and may be heard on ESPN Radio 1100 in Las Vegas.