Memorial Day is upon us, and with that the promise of long summer days (and nights!) ahead. Whether your Memorial Day plans call for frizz-fighting at the beach, a classic up-do at a wedding or a humid outdoor evening BBQ, be sure to pack all of your go-to haircare travel essentials so your hair is picture-perfect from dawn to dusk. Need an effortless yet chic go-to summer style this summer? Look no further! Pureology Pure Artist, Sandra Joseph shares below her step-by-steps to achieve the “Twisted Tousle Bun”:
- Begin with dry hair and layer Pureology Root Lift spray hair mousse for texture, grip and shine. Blowdry smooth.
- For added shine and hold, emulsify a dime-size amount of Colour Stylist Cuticle Polisher shine serum in your palms and distribute evenly. Create a left-side part and slice, parting to the lower right-side corner. Gather all the hair in the large section and secure into a low ponytail. Twist the ponytail and add an elastic to the ends.
- Gather 1-2 inches of hair around the fringe, wrap loosely and secure with a clip.
- Gather remaining hair into a ponytail behind the right ear. Twist ponytail and add an elastic to the end.
- Wrap both ponytails into low buns and secure with pins. Lightly pull apart the buns to create a piecey look.
- Release the fringe and twist, then secure the ends with an elastic. Wrap the section around the two buns. Secure with pins then loosen with fingers to soften the look.
- Finish your look with a mist of Colour Stylist Strengthening Control zero-dulling hairspray for a great finish.
For more product and purchase information, to find a salon, book your next appointment or buy genuine Pureology products from your local salon, visit Pureology.com. Pureology is also available at Ulta, Beauty Brands and JCPenney Salons.
The sundresses, the thoroughbreds, the hats and fascinators – there is an undeniable energy and elegance to the annual Kentucky Derby that reminds us of the thrill of dressing up and flaunting our finest. Whether you are heading to Louisville on May 2nd or will be toasting with your mint julep from afar, Pureology has the perfect hairstyles to match.
“Events like the Kentucky Derby call for elaborate hats, but the look can become too busy when the hair is worn down or if the hair is too textured. If you are going to wear it down, wear smooth waves all over to one side. This look is clean, beautiful, and does not distract from the hat,” says Pureology Artistic Ambassador Ruth Roche. “Wearing your hair in a side chignon, which sits to one side at the nape, is a beautiful and visible style to wear with a hat without distracting from the hat’s beauty. Another benefit is that the hair will still look great when you take off the hat. No hat hair!”
Please see below for step-by-steps from Pureology Artistic Ambassador Ruth Roche on creating a side chignon to pair with your Derby hat.
- Blow dry hair with Pureology Pure Volume Levitation Mist and a round brush to create volume and hold.
- Curl away from the face using a 1 ¼ inch barrel iron. Set style with Colour Stylist Strengthening Control zero dulling hairspray as you go.
- Create a side part, smooth over and around the head and create a sleek ponytail on one side at the nape.
- Apply a small amount of Colour Stylist Cuticle Polisher shine serum into your palm and rub palms together until the cream turns to a serum. Smooth over the entire surface of the hair except for the ponytail, which will create amazing shine.
- Twist ponytail all the way to the end, and hold on to the ends. Use your other hand to hold the hair close to the head as you wrap the twisted ponytail around the elastic.
- When you reach the ends, tuck them under the ‘bun’ you have created and secure with bobby pins.
- Spray with Colour Stylist Supreme Control high hold hairspray for a lasting hold.
Last night’s rain on the red carpet of the 87th Academy Awards was neither invited nor avoidable, but that did not stop Hollywood’s favorite starlets from showcasing a wide array of looks that kept us on our toes. Award wins and gowns aside, the hair alone was enough to get viewers talking with looks ranging from dreadlocks to unexpected undercuts.
Below, Pureology Artists Sandra Joseph and Ruth Roche share their tips for recreating our favorite looks using Pureology. Pureology International Artistic Director Wendy Bélanger also shares tips on how to keep frizz at bay, even when unexpected downpours hit!
- Get the look: Scarlett Johansson (provided by Pure Artist Ruth Roche)
- Apply a small amount of Colour Stylist Anti-Split Blow Dry styling cream and using a round brush, blowdry top of hair smooth.
- Backcomb the roots to create a 1″ high cushion. Apply a pea-sized amount of Colour Stylist Cuticle Polisher shine serum to palms and style hair away from the face using your fingers. Finish with Colour Stylist Supreme Control high hold hair spray for colour-treated hair.
- If the hair is not undercut, take a horseshoe parting at the top and using vertical sections, lightly backcomb sections throughout the sides and back. Brush sides back, using tension to keep the hair very close to the head. Create a classic twist from the nape to the crown, and secure with bobby pins.
- On the top, twist and tuck the ends underneath at the back of the crown and secure with a bobby pin. Spray with Colour Stylist Strengthening Control zero dulling hairspray for added hold. Apply a small amount of Colour Stylist Cuticle Polisher shine serum into palms and smooth over sides and back to create a high shine.
- Get the look: Gwyneth Paltrow (provided by Pure Artist Ruth Roche)
- Blow dry hair smooth with Pureology Highlight Stylist Gold Definer contour shine-gel.
- Take ½” horizontal sections and starting in the nape, use a flat iron through each section to create maximum shine.
- Create a deep side part, and a large circular section at the crown. Clip circular section out of the way and smooth front and both sides around and back. Secure under the circle in the nape.
- Lightly backcomb the roots in the crown section and smooth the surface with a natural bristle brush.
- To finish, apply a small amount of Colour Stylist Cuticle Polisher shine serum to palms and smooth the surface.
- Finish with Colour Stylist Strengthening Control zero dulling hairspray for a lasting, flexible hold.
- Get the look: Margot Robbie (provided by Pure Artist Sandra Joseph)
- Begin with a few mists of Pureology Colour Fanatic on damp hair to prime hair, protect colour and fight frizz.
- Apply a quarter-size amount of Colour Stylist Nourishing Nectar sculpting gel and blowdry with a large flat brush, wrapping hair around the head to create shape.
- When the hair is almost dry, add a small amount of Colour Stylist Anti Breakage Twist shine texturizer and layer throughout. Finish blowdrying with a large round brush to smooth cuticle and add extra bend.
- Create a right side part, tuck hair behind the ear and finish with Colour Stylist Density Definer medium hold crème wax to add separation and hold hair in place all evening.
- Tips to keep the frizz and humidity away (provided by Pureology International Artistic Director Wendy Bélanger)
- Using a round brush, combine a dime-sized dollop of Pureology Super Smooth Relaxing Serum and a dime-sized dollop of Colour Stylist Lustrous Volumizer prior to blowdrying. The Super Smooth Relaxing Serum features a humidity-resistant technology that retains the moisture from your conditioner while repelling the humidity from the outside that would otherwise cause your blowout to collapse or create frizz. The Colour Stylist Lustrous Volumizer provides that added volume, hold and support needed for shape while simultaneously protecting hair from color damage or fading.
Visit StyleSeat.com/Pureology to book an appointment or buy authentic Pureology products from your local salon.
As the year comes to a close, we all get the itch for change as we prepare to start fresh in the new year. To give us a dose of inspiration for a new 2015 ‘do, Pureology Artistic Ambassador Natasha Sunshine shares her favorite haircuts for all lengths and tips on how to choose the best cut for your face shape.
- Strong & Short
Kristen Stewart transformed herself from girl-next-door to Hollywood goddess with her sleek, short-layered haircut.
Best on: Oval face shapes
Best hair texture: Fine to medium, thick hair can look too masculine
Favorite product: Pureology Colour Stylist Density Definer medium hold crème wax
How to Style: Apply a nickel to quarter size of Pureology Colour Stylist Density Definer medium hold crème wax to damp hair. Emulsify product until it is evenly spread across both palms. Pat palms all over, making sure to cover all areas of the head. To finish, rake your hair back and tuck hair behind ears.
Styling time: 5 minutes
- The Undone Bob
Model Karlie Kloss proves that cute can be sexy too with her playful, layered bob. The key to this style is mastering the ‘undone’ style.
Best on: Most face shapes
Best hair texture: Medium
Favorite product: Pureology Curl Complete Uplifting Curl and Colour Stylist Cuticle Polisher shine serum
How to Style: Spray Pureology Curl Complete Uplifting Curl on damp hair and scrunch in. Apply a dollop of Colour Stylist Cuticle Polisher shine serum, evenly distributing throughout. Blowdry on a medium setting and scrunch a natural texture into the hair. If hair looks too undone and messy, use a 1” barrel iron on every other section of the hair. Point the tip of your iron towards the floor and wind hair in a spiral fashion away from the face (tip: just the ends is fine when curling hair at this length). Scrunch ironed curls and natural texture together to get a more polished yet not-too-perfect wave.
Styling time: 20 – 25 minutes
- Layered Lob with Fringe
Alexa Chung nails it with this winning combo of almost blunt bangs and a long layered bob. The hint of auburn in her dark brown hair is the perfect accent to her sultry cut.
Best on: Most face shapes
Best Hair Texture: Fine to thick with a slight wave
Favorite product: Pureology’s Colour Stylist Nourishing Nectar sculpting gel and Colour Stylist Piecing Sculpt high-holding sculpting fiber paste
How to Style: Add a pea to dime size dollop of Colour Stylist Nourishing Nectar sculpting gel to damp hair. Distribute product evenly throughout. Blowdry fringe with a medium-sized round brush. Scrunch the rest of your hair until dry. Add a dime size of Colour Stylist Piecing Sculpt high-holding sculpting fiber paste to ends for added shine and texture from mid-shafts to ends.
Styling time: 15 minutes
- Classic Long Layers
The always stunning Blake Lively wears her golden locks in classic long layers. Be sure to add dimension to hair color, whether blonde or brunette, to make this style look its best.
Best on: Most face shapes
Best Hair Texture: Medium to thick hair
Favorite product: Pureology Colour Stylist Cuticle Polisher shine serum
How to Style: Apply a generous dollop of Colour Stylist Cuticle Polisher shine serum from mid-shaft to ends. Flip head over and blowdry while scrunching until dry. Using a 1 ½” barrel curling iron, grab large pieces (about 2-3” in diameter) and wrap around the iron in a spiral fashion. Change direction on each section and change the height at which you start the curl. For example, only curl the last 6” inches on some sections, the last 3” on others and some all the way from the root. Rotate all options to create a natural-looking texture. Scrunch all sections together once done and if necessary, flip head back over and add heat from the dryer to loosen curls. For added shine, add a touch more of Colour Stylist Cuticle Polisher.
Styling time: 25-35 minutes