MAURICO ‘SHOGUN’ RUA VS. CHAEL SONNEN HEADLINES STACKED CARD IN BOSTON AUG. 17
ALISTAIR OVEREEM vs. TRAVIS BROWNE
URIJAH FABER vs. YURI ALCANTARA
MATT BROWN vs. THIAGO ALVES
BOSTON’S JOE LAUZON vs. MICHAEL JOHNSON
TICKETS FOR UFC® on FOX SPORTS 1: SHOGUN vs. SONNEN
AT TD GARDEN
ON SALE THURSDAY, JUNE 20
Las Vegas, Nevada – Former UFC® and PRIDE® champion Mauricio “Shogun” Rua (21-7, fighting out of Curitiba, Brazil) will meet controversial and charismatic light heavyweight contender Chael Sonnen (28-13-1, fighting out of West Linn, Ore.) on Saturday, August 17 at the TD Garden in Boston, Mass. The main event highlights an action-packed card that will serve as the inaugural live sports broadcast on the newly minted network, FOX SPORTS 1.
“We’re finally coming back to Boston and we’re bringing the most stacked card in UFC history,” UFC President Dana White said. “In the main event, former UFC light heavyweight champion Shogun Rua takes on Chael Sonnen, who once again stepped up and asked for a big fight. Then we have Alistair Overeem vs. Travis Browne in a heavyweight fight. Both of those guys have heavy hands, so I expect someone to get knocked out! The rest of the card is loaded with exciting fights, including Urijah Faber vs. Yuri Alcantara, Matt Brown vs. Thiago Alves, Boston’s Joe Lauzon vs. Michael Johnson, Uriah Hall vs. Nick Ring, and Irish superstar Conor McGregor vs. Andy Ogle. Boston, we’re coming back on Aug. 17!”
In addition, Alistair Overeem (36-12-1, fighting out of Amsterdam, Netherlands) returns to the Octagon® to face Travis Browne (14-1-1, fighting out of Albuquerque, N.M.) in a heavyweight showdown that is sure to deliver.
Also, former WEC featherweight champion Urijah Faber (28-6, fighting out of Sacramento, Calif.) looks for his third straight win as he meets dynamic Brazilian bantamweight Yuri Alcantara (27-4, Soure Para, Brazil).
Other bouts for UFC® on FOX SPORTS 1: SHOGUN vs. SONNEN include:
- Resilient striker Matt Brown (19-11, fighting out of Columbus, Ohio) vs. Brazil’s Thiago Alves (24-8, fighting out of Coconut Creek, Fla.)
- The Ultimate Fighter® 17 finalist Uriah Hall (8-3 fighting out of New York, N.Y.) vs. Canadian Nick Ring (13-2, fighting out of Calgary, Alberta, Canada) in a middleweight battle.
- Submission specialist Joe Lauzon (22-8, fighting out of Bridgewater, Mass.) vs. lightweight Michael Johnson (13-8, fighting out of Springfield, Mo.)
- England’s Brad Pickett (24-7, fighting out of Coconut Creek, Fla.) vs. bantamweight contender Michael McDonald (15-2, fighting out of Modesto, Calif.)
- · Former WEC featherweight champion Mike Brown (26-8, fighting out of Portland, Maine) faces Sweden’s Akira Corassani (13-4-1, fighting out of New York, N.Y.).
- · The Ultimate Fighter® 14 season winner Diego Brandao (21-8, fighting out of Albuquerque, N.M.) vs. featherweight Daniel Pineda (17-9, Houston, Texas).
- · Ireland’s Conor McGregor (13-2, fighting out of Dublin, Ireland) vs. England’s Andy Ogle (9-2, fighting out of Sunderland, England)
- · Cody Donovan (8-2, fighting out of Denver, Colo.) vs. light heavyweight Ovince Saint Preux (13-5, fighting out of Knoxville, Tenn.)
- · The Ultimate Fighter® 13 season finalist Ramsey Nijem (8-3, fighting out of Orem, Utah) vs. lightweight James Vick (4-0, fighting out of Fort Worth, Texas)
Tickets for UFC® on FOX SPORTS 1: SHOGUN vs. SONNEN, go on sale Thursday, June 20 at 10 a.m. ET and are priced at $300, $225, $150, $100, $75 and $50. Tickets will be available at all Ticketmaster locations. Ticket sales are limited to eight (8) per person. To charge by phone with a major credit card, call Ticketmaster at (800) 745-3000. Tickets also are available for purchase at www.ticketmaster.com. Ticket prices do not include applicable service charges.
UFC® Fight Club™ members will have the opportunity to purchase tickets to this event Tuesday, June 18 at 10 a.m. ET via the website www.ufcfightclub.com. A special Internet ticket pre-sale will be available to UFC newsletter subscribers Wednesday, June 19 starting at 10 a.m. ET. To access this presale, users must register for the UFC newsletter through UFC.com.
For more information or current fight news, visit www.ufc.com. All bouts live and subject to change.
About the Ultimate Fighting Championship®
Universally recognized for its action-packed, can’t-miss events that have sold out some of the biggest arenas and stadiums across the globe, the UFC® is the world’s premier mixed martial arts (MMA) organization. Owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC, headquartered in Las Vegas and with offices in London, Toronto and Beijing, UFC produces more than 30 live events annually and is the largest pay-per-view event provider in the world. In 2012, the UFC burst into the mainstream with a landmark seven-year broadcast agreement with FOX Sports Media Group. The agreement includes four live events broadcast on the FOX network annually, with additional fight cards and thousands of hours of programming broadcast on FOX properties FX and FUEL TV. This also includes the longest-running sports reality show on television, The Ultimate Fighter®, which airs on FOX SPORTS 1.
In addition to its reach on FOX, UFC programming is broadcast in over 145 countries, to nearly 800 million TV households worldwide, in 28 different languages. UFC content is also distributed commercially in the United States to bars and restaurants through Joe Hand Promotions, in English throughout Canada via Premium Sports Broadcasting Inc. and Australia via Main Event and in French throughout Quebec via Interbox. The UFC also connects with tens of millions of fans through its website, UFC.com, as well as social media sites Facebook and Twitter. UFC President Dana White is considered one of the most accessible and followed executives in sports, with nearly 2.4 million followers on Twitter. Ancillary UFC businesses include best-selling DVDs and video games, an internationally distributed magazine, UFC.TV offering live event broadcasts and video on demand around the world, a new franchise in development with EA, UFC GYM®, UFC Fight Club affinity program, UFC Fan Expo® festivals, branded apparel and trading cards.