This festival season, get Redken-ready braids with top tips and tricks from Redken Educator Spencer Henry!
- Isolate the front left and front right quadrants of the hair to create a traditional 3-strand braid, incorporating a ribbon of your choice onto the middle section securing with a clip.
- Braid the hair as normal utilizing Redken Forceful 23 Super Strength Hairspray to keep things tidy, and finish by taking an elastic to secure the ends, and replacing your clip with a hair pin to hold ribbon in place.
- Repeat on the opposite side of your head. Using your fingers or a wide-tooth comb to mess up those curls a bit.
- Slowly begin ‘pushing’ out the sides of your braids to loosen them up adding width and dimension before bringing them to the back of the head and pinning them on opposite sides.
- Finish off with a layer of Redken Triple Take 32 Extreme High-Hold Hairspray to ensure a long lasting result, perfect for a night on the town.
Our favorite celebrities rocked some of the most gorgeous hairstyles on the red carpet at the Grammy Awards last night. From elegant updos to funky braids, Rodney Cutler, Redken Brand Ambassador and Owner of Cutler/Redken Salons in NYC, has the tips on how to recreate these looks at home and the key Redken products you need to get them!
Keltie Knight: Ponytails, when done right always look good.
- Using only your hands, apply Redken Pillow Proof Blow Dry express primer to damp hair and blowdry using a round, natural bristle brush.
- Once dry, use a generous amount of Redken Wind Blown 05 dry finishing spray from roots to ends to add lots of airy texture.
- Pull hair up into a high ponytail (using only your hands, no brush) at the crown of your head.
- After securing your pony, gently pull some pieces on top of your hair to create some height and texture.
- Using elastics that match your hair color, bind the hair every two inches. After each bind, gently pull hair in each section to create texture and width.
Jessie J: The hair style says chic, simplicity, and confidence . Simple look that every girl could do herself
1. Apply a nickel-size amount of Redken Satinwear 02 prepping blow-dry lotion throughout hair and blow dry smooth using a paddle brush.
2. Section by section, apply a dime-size amount Redken Short Sculpt 19 touchable texturizing gel, coming to salons in April, and comb through from roots to ends.
3. Mist hair with plenty of Redken Control Addict 28 extra high hold hairspray
4. You can use some long duckbill clips to hold hair in place while it is drying. Try not to touch until hair is completely dry!
Iggy Azalea: Daring to be different and stepping outside of the box, braids are always cool and fun.
- Part hair down the center to the nape of the neck, and wind one side into a bun and fasten to keep out of the way.
- Start braiding from the nape of the neck and keep working until you reach the top side of your head and you have braided all of the hair that is not in the bun, secure with a clear elastic. Rather than pass sections of hair over the middle strand like with a French braid, pass sections under the middle strand. This will create an “inside out” braid. Use Redken Braid Aid 03 braid defining lotion, coming to salons in April, to help keep the sections clean and easy to work with. Take hair out of the bun and repeat the same steps on this side.
- When you have two long braids, add a touch of Redken Powder Grip 03 mattifying hair powder to the ends, and pull edges of the braids gently to make them wider.
- Wrap braids on their sides around the top of your head to create your crown, and secure to top of the head with long French hair pins or bobby pins matching your hair color.
Stylist Jenny Balding styled the hair at 5:31 Jérôme SS14 debut collection during New York Fashion Week.
To create the look:
Collaborating with the designer to take the concept of mixing luxury with street, Jenny Blading created a slightly disheveled look with a 90’s feel. “This is an excellent way to create perfectly disheveled texture…think Cindy Crawford in her supermodel heyday.” – Jenny Balding
- Prep hair with Redken rootful 06 root lifting spray from roots to midlength and blow dry to create lots of volume.
- Create movement and slight wave by using a 3/4″ curling iron. Take large sections to create slight wave texture. Shake out.
- Apply Redken powder grip 03 to the roots and this really applifies the hair.
- Sweep over to one side in a loose manner and this will create a deep side part.